Tutor: Kevin Lordan BA (Hons) QTS - Master Craftsman at The Yorkshire Hut Company
Monday 2nd - Friday 6th March 2020 • 9:00 am - 5:00pm • £675
Suitable for all levels • All tools and materials provided, lunch and refreshments included • Limited places available
This is a practical 5 day course packed with tips, knowledge information and teaching where you will learn through doing, how to create your own bespoke shepherd’s hut from start to finish in a professional and well equipped workshop. During this 5 day course you will be involved in all stages of the making of a 8’ x 16’ shepherd’s hut based on a traditional Yorkshire design. This course will therefore include
• constructing an straightening accurately squared base and frame work
• exploring a variety of layout and design options
• marking and cutting out window and door apertures using jigs to ensure accuracy and consistency
• creating glue laminated roof beams
• marking out, dividing and installing the curved roof and ceiling
• insulating the shepherd’s hut with sheeps’ wool insulation and appropriate membrane to prevent condensation
• boarding of the internal walls and ceiling and learning how to clad the external walls of the shepherds hut including facias and corner cleats
• securely fixing curved corrugated tin roof
• installation of door and window frames and hanging of door and windows
• fitting of skirting and architraves
As this is only a 5 day course the shepherd’s hut you create on the course shall not be a fully finished article, however the course is planned and structured that you will experience learning and working on each stage of making a shepherd’s hut from beginning to completion. You shall also have the opportunity to explore the following through talks and demonstrations, providing you with the skills and knowledge to build your own shepherd’s hut to completion.
• Fitting of a compost lavatory and and basic plumbing for conventional WC, basin and sink
• Installation of a wood burning stove according to current Heatas regulations by a trained installer
• Examples of raised and fixed chassis and methods of attaching these securely to your shepherd’s hut
Kevin Lordan BA (Hons) QTS - is a master craftsman Kevin Lordan of The Yorkshire Hut Company and has made over 85 bespoke shepherd’s huts. Kevin is a fully qualified in his crafts and as a teacher with 30 years experience. Kevin very much enjoys teaching, has always trained apprentices and enjoys passing skills forward.
To book a place (or if you have any questions) please contact Pennie and let us know the course or workshop you would like to book on and we shall then send you payment details to send a bank transfer or cheque of a 50% deposit to secure your place with the balance due 2 weeks before the course.
We donate funds to the Woodland trust towards creating and protecting woodland trees across the UK www.woodlandtrust.co.uk
Tel: 07851 299140 or 01904 651085
Terms and conditions: A 50% deposit is required to book a place on any course or workshop with the balance due the two weeks before the start date. In the unlikely event we have to cancel a course or workshop you deposit will be returned to you in full. Should you have to cancel a your place on a workshop or course, your deposit will be returned to you or transferred to another course if your cancellation is 7 days or more before the commencement of the courses or workshop. If less than 7 days notice is given the deposit is non refundable unless we can fill your place in which case it shall be returned to you.